International Women's Day 2019
Posted on March 08 2019
International women's day is held on the 8th of March each year, it is a day to celebrate the amazing achievements of Women- at the same time raising awareness and campaigning for better gender equality. This year the theme is #balanceforbetter the focus of this theme is think 'Equal, Build Smart, Innovate for Change'.
International Women's Day has been celebrate since the 1900's and although we have come a long way since then, it is sad to say the balance is still far from equal, women are still being treated differently. A recent survey has shown women have experienced some sort of sexual harassment, job insecurity and low pay compared with male peers.
Being an all female workplace, having a young Sister, Nieces and my lovely Daughter I feel that it is more important than ever to raise awareness!
Here's to strong women may we know them, may we be them, may we raise them!
Ways you can celebrate International Women's Day (IWD)
- Support a local women's aid charity. We have put together an exclusive box and will be donating 30% of the profit to Woman's Aid. If you would prefer you can contact your local Woman's aid and find out if they are in need of anything specific e.g. clothes, toiletries, and much more or I came across Give and Makeup which is a non-profit initiative whose sole purpose is to get everyday essentials into the hands of women and children who need them the most.
- Visit a local Women's event near you. If you take 5 minutes to reseach you will find a whole list of events happening across the UK on the day and the weekend.
- Spend time with the special ladies in your life, Sister, Mum, Nan, Best Friend, Daughter, Niece maybe you could all get together. Visit a restaurant, watch a film or your favourite series together, cook together, go for a walk - however you do it I am sure you will create some lovely lasting memories together.
- Do something for you! Wherever that be accomplishing a personal goal that has been put on the back burner for a while or maybe it has been crazy later and you deserve a little self-care time, run a bath in the middle of the day, take a nap, read a book, cook something for yourself or order in - You deserve it.
- Shop or support a women-owed businesses, wink wink yes you could purchase a TreatBox and send it to a loved one, or our limited edition IWD box. But there is a whole list of women rocking it in business here is a list that pop up on my Instagram daily inspiring me; Creighton Chocolaterie, Indie Roller, The Tired Mama Collection, Stanley & Maud, Pretty Little Maison, Twinkle Cottage, ... I could go on! There are lots of other ways you can support women-owned businesses, follow them on your favourite social media, share them, go through a handful of their last social media or blog posts and give them a thoughtful comment or like, I am sure it will make their day.